Sunken trawler to be searched for bodies May 11, 2005
The owners of the hake trawler that collided with a container vessel off Port Elizabeth on Sunday, killing 14 people, are investigating how to reach the sunken vessel to recover bodies that might be trapped in it, the Mossel Bay municipality said.
The captain of the Ouro do Brasil, which crashed into the trawler Lindsay, is to be questioned about the collision. Only two men survived.
SA Maritime Safety Authority investigating officer Captain Nigel Campbell said earlier that they would interview the master of the Liberian-flagged juice transporter to establish details of the collision. “The ship was detained on Sunday in order for us to carry out a preliminary inquiry,” said Campbell, a fishing vessel safety officer.
The Mossel Bay municipality will hold a memorial service at the AGS Church at 7pm tomorrow. An Absa bank account to assist the families has been opened under the name of the Lindsay Visserstrust. The account number for public donations is 914 158 9291. – Sapa